Residency Unlimited is pleased to announce an Open Call for the 2021 NYC-Based Artist Residency Program.
Residency Unlimited (RU) invites visual artists who identify as Black to apply for a three-month residency from April 5 - July 2, 2021. RU welcomes applications from NYC-based visual artists who work across media and whose practices are research-based and geared towards filling in gaps in historical knowledge. Four artists will be selected from applications reviewed by a jury of arts professionals together with RU staff.
Please note that this residency does not provide studio space. Applicants must live in one of NYC’s five boroughs. Students are not eligible to apply. Residency activities will take place in-person and/or online in accordance with NYC and CDC COVID-19 guidelines to assure the safety of RU staff and residents. To learn about the 2020 NYC-Based Artist Residency Program, please click here.
Residency Unlimited (RU) is a non-profit art organization that...supports the creation, presentation, and circulation of contemporary art and ideas through its unique residency program and year-round public programs. Located within a former South Congregational Church in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn, RU is a multifunctional space, acting as a hub and meeting place for RU’s various community activities and public programs, including, talks, screenings, performances, and exhibitions. Here, artists and curators-in-residence hold meetings, conduct research, and at times produce work.
The 2021 NYC-Based Artist Residency Program is directed by guest curator Rachel Raphaela Gugelberger, an NYC-based curator with a focus on place-based practices around social, cultural, and civic issues. Projects include Bound up Together: On the 100th Anniversary of the 19th Amendment at Smack Mellon, Brooklyn; (after)care, a site-specific exhibition in a former emergency waiting room at Kings County Hospital Center, East Flatbush, Brooklyn; and Jameco Exchange, a site-responsive and socially engaged education exhibition in a vacant storefront in Jamaica, Queens.
Deadline: March 1, 11:59 pm EST
Notifications: March 15
Residency Dates: April 5 - July 2, 2021
The 2021 NYC-Based Artist Residency features:
▪ $1,200 stipend;
▪ Weekly one-on-one visits with guest curators/critics that align artistic/curatorial interests. Visits will include meetings with RU curator(s)-in-residence and RU staff;
▪ Network development/support, project/production assistance, public exposure;
▪ Regular meetings with guest residency program curator Rachel Gugelberger and RU staff as desired;
▪ Artist presentations, salons, and reading groups at RU and/or online;
▪ Resident group activities such as exhibition visits, workshops, and field trips;
▪ A culminating group exhibition at a partnering venue in NYC or at RU.
To fill out the application form, please have the following materials ready:
▪ Contact information
▪ Artist Statement (1500 characters / 250 words)
▪ Statement of Interest / Proposal (3000 characters / 500 words)
▪ Current CV (PDF format)
▪ PDF portfolio that includes up to 10 images of work including title, medium, year, and description (max 7MB)
▪ Please include links in the application for performances and or time-based works
Entrada actualizada el el 10 feb de 2021
¿Te gustaría añadir o modificar algo de esta ficha?